Thousands of bus, taxi, and truck drivers made their way to central Israel last Thursday in the opening round of the battle to abolish the duty on diesel oil
Israel Road Transport Board Director Gabi Ben Haroush announced prior to the event that blocking Greater Tel Aviv's main artery was only the "opening shot in a struggle by those who 'live by the wheel' for their incomes and existence, and it will eventually include some one million citizens."
Some 4,000 privately owned buses and minibuses, 22,000 taxis, heavy duty and lightweight truck fleets, and the Israel Tour Guides Association were supposed to take part in the demonstration.
The protest had far less of an impact on Tel Aviv's traffic flow than intended as police blocked many trucks and buses coming from other parts of the country from arriving in the Tel Aviv area.
Police officials said later they had authorized only 150 trucks, 200 taxis and 50 buses to take part in the demonstration, and were determined to enforce that decision.
Earlier in the week Ben Haroush said that his members lost confidence in the government and its ministers who had shown no interest in difficulties facing the road haulage industry.